Saturday, April 25, 2009

Episode From a Hamsun Novel

I had a dream I went out on a boat
With some ladies some gentry and a doctor
All dressed up real fine a merchant with a silver
Emblem on his shirt font doctor with a lame leg
Edwarda looked at me one moment the doctor the next
She asked me if she could come to the hut then she turned
To the doctor and asked him if she could feel his knee then
She turned back to me then back to the doctor I was uneasy
I was uneasy I was uneasy I was elated Edwarda’s shoe fell
From her foot onto the boat bottom I was elated I was elated
I was elated I was uneasy now what could have been wrong with me
My dog was tied up at home thinking of me I was elated I picked up
Her shoe and tossed it into the water

Some boatmen fished it out I apologized profusely for throwing
The shoe later in the ballroom the doctor made jokes about ecstasy
In the evening and talked to all of the ladies Edwarda sometimes and
She gave him her undivided attention he was my rival but I laughed at
His jokes nonetheless I applauded Listen to the doctor I said Listen
To the doctor then Edwarda approached me in front of a group of six
Or seven and spoke of how kind I was for paying the boat man
For retrieving her shoe from the water the shoe she had dropped by accident
But I had never paid the boatman and I told her so but she brought the boatman in
Oh boatman she cried and in he walked all hunched over she asked the boatman
If he had received some money earlier today Yes he began You mam gave me
Some after I retrieved your shoe she dismissed him That will be enough she said
And looked me in the eyes my eyes were watery red and dry That proves it she said

Later in the night I was the last to leave because Edwarda asked me she took my hand
She told me she was tired she said she didn’t want me to leave my dog was tied up
At the shack probably he was thinking of me But I am thinking of you too she said and
I just about believed her until I saw in the corner the cane belonging to the doctor
the doctor who was lame and I knew he would be coming back Why don’t you spend the
night with the doctor

No comments:

Post a Comment